This recipe is a quick and easy way for busy moms at home, and since apples are now in season , tempt your family with this. The Strudel that I serve in the morning for my guest is made from fresh home made pastry . Enjoy
- 2 1/4 lb apples
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 1/4 lb package of frozen phyllo, thawed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Slice or chop the apples and put into a bowl. Add breadcrumbs, 4 tbsp melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, raisins (if using), and grated lemon rind and stir together.
- On a damp towel, lay two sheets of phyllo dough, and brush with melted butter. Place another 1 to 2 sheets on top and brush with butter. Continue until you have about 4 or 5 layers.
- Put the apple mixture down the center of
- the pastry, leaving a 1-inch border around the outside.
- fold in the short sides and then roll up like a jelly roll.
- Put strudel on a greased baking sheet with the seam side down. Brush with remaining melted butter. Cut 1/4 inch deep slashes across diagonally across top.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool before sprinkling with powdered sugar and serving.